Well, hello again! I’ve been struggling with some computer issues this week and wasn’t able to get to my Live Writer program.
Don’t you just hate that? The darn computer froze up on me and when I shut down I was unable to get it back up and running.
Grrrr! Got it fixed and here we go with yet another update on J and Yurah’s Laundry/Mudroom!
For the record I want to let you know this is NOT going quite as fast as I planned it. I know, I know, no big surprise there. Now tell us something new, right? I’m fully aware that I have a very warped sense of time. As Mike says, I need to double what I think it will take for a project, then add a month. Nice guy, huh? The sad part is that he’s so often right about it! (but don’t tell him I said that, ok?)
Last post I showed you the cubby/bench part of the project. That is essentially done, just waiting for the final coat of paint and the hooks can be installed. (and the crown molding on top). I left Jason and Yurah in charge of the painting at that point. J tells me they plan to work on it this weekend.
Next I moved on to the corner between the porch door and the kitchen door.
I mean, really, who needs an empty corner? Right?
So I decided to add a cubby tower right there.
Three of the middle shelves are removable so this could also be used as a broom closet if desired.
Then I moved on to the TV armoire, the inspiration piece for this whole project!
My thought was to build cubbies under it to store the recycling bins. The actual TV armoire was to go on top, reaching all the way to the ceiling. The top open section was going to be a coat closet.
J and I got the cabinet moved inside, lifted it onto the base, (it fit perfectly, I might add) and stood back to look.
Um, there’s a slight problem here. If you wanted to hang up a coat you would need a ladder to reach the bar!
Whoops! It was a good plan on paper, but in real life it just didn’t work out.
Change of plans, take the cabinet down and reverse it.
Much better! After checking, we found that the recycle bins will fit inside the bottom doors, so that takes care of that!
Next step was to add cabinets to the wall. These were curb shopped kitchen cupboards I’ve picked up here and there. They didn’t match, but that’s ok. With a little paint they’ll be fine. On top went another section of cubbies. This one I made differently, I didn’t separate the sections all the way back. This way they can store bigger (wider) items up there if needed.
We’re getting closer!
This is pretty much what it looked like at the end of weekend #2.
Done? No, far from it. But most of the building part is done.
Looking at the before and now I would definitely pick the before. It’s not looking so great at this stage.
The base cabinet and countertop to go under the wall cabinets, then the partition wall for the dryer and a set of cubbies to fit over the dryer. That’s it!
Of course there’s still the trim work and all, and then the floor…..
All right already, so maybe Mike was right about needing to add another month to my time estimate!
Especially since the following weekend was reserved for Erin’s Christmas gift.
Yup, you read that right, I had to stop right there, pack up all my tools, and get ready to start my daughter’s project.
But that’s another post.