This next one was chosen for the open back design on the locker system. They loved the cubbies above and below, but opted to have one compartment for coat hooks above the bench. They also decided to have 4 cubbies on the bottom to match the top. instead of the 2 big sections shown here.
We decided that all the cabinets should go all the way to the ceiling, like their kitchen. Their ceiling height in this room is 8 ft, and every inch of storage space needs to be utilized in this small area.
OK, this exact photo was not in the post with all the pictures; we found it later. The appeal of this one is the cabinetry going all the way to the ceiling with the crown at the top. The way the washer/dryer set is enclosed makes it look seamless. The granite counter and cabinetry next to it were also chosen as great elements to incorporate. Picture the cabinets all white!
Here’s a similar picture in white. This gives a good idea of what the TV armoire is going to look like on the opposite end of the washer/dryer. They won’t have a sink out there, so picture this look without the sink and with the cabinets going all the way up to the ceiling.
OK, so now you have a good idea of what we are trying to accomplish, along with a color scheme.
Now let’s take a look at some of the demolition pictures!
As usual we got to tearing down before I thought to take any pictures. This was the first one I got of the demo. You can see we were nearly done taking out the closet wall!
I was very happy to find that the closet had been framed AFTER the room was dry walled. We were extremely careful to try to keep it as intact as possible in the demolition.
(Had a bit of an oopsie here, the glass globe on the light fixture got hit with one of the pieces of framing and broke. I really should have removed that and the bulb before demo.)
The top piece was the trickiest to remove. We did not want to ruin the ceiling!
Naturally I tried to save as many pieces of wood as I could to reuse in some way.
After cleaning up the debris we pulled out the carpet and got out all the staples we could from the subfloor.
Only one hole to patch! We really lucked out there. I bought the spackle that starts out pink and dries white, just because I never used it before.
It was pretty cool!
This is the space after one coat of spackle.
I had to run a small heater to help it dry better.
While waiting for the spackle to dry we went shopping for a floor. A heated electric mat for under the flooring was purchased at Lowes. It was a big expense; $325 after J’s military discount.
Instead of ceramic tile we opted for laminate tile planks, found on clearance at Bargain Outlet for $1.69 a square foot. Cost was just $100 with the underlayment matting.
Ceramic was our first choice, but the floor had a bit more give to it than I liked and adding cement board to stabilize would have added too much height. We went simple and got the laminate planks. Their kitchen floor is laminate so they are already used to how easy a laminate floor is to keep clean.
These colors will also hide dirt!
While we were at it we took a peek at light fixtures to get an idea of what they would cost. Jason really liked a couple, but we didn’t get one yet. That can wait a week. By then we’ll have a better idea of what this whole project will cost!
I was getting a little bit of sticker shock already.
These next 2 pictures are purely for Gail’s benefit. She couldn’t believe that I could fit full sheets of plywood in my van!
Granted the tailgate wouldn’t shut all the way…..but I got 5 sheets home with it tied down so I could start cutting the pieces for the cabinets.
Jason and I spent a lot of time with the circular saw making all the cuts.
Working with full sheets like that you definitely need a helper to make it doable.
The 3/4 inch sheets were soooo heavy!
That’s it for now. I’ve got more pictures from yesterday still on my camera but that will have to wait for another post.
Right now I’m heading into work.
It was a very satisfying 3 day weekend. I’m a little tired and sore but really happy with how things are shaping up.