Last post I caught you up to the end of the first weekend on the laundry/mudroom project.
If you’ve missed any of the earlier posts on this project you can click on these links to catch up.
So I hated packing everything up and getting back to real life, but alas, it must be.
Come the next Friday morning I was eagerly pounding on J’s door, trying to get him to answer. (I think he just pulled the pillow over his head and rolled over)
See, he had just worked 11 days straight because he’s in the reserves and the last weekend was his one weekend a month drill.
Add to that me making him work late into the night on the house when he had been working all day long, well, he was pretty worn out!
I’m thinking maybe he wasn’t as excited about starting early as I was! ;)
Well this weekend he was off Friday through Monday and I wanted to take full advantage of every minute we had.
There he is, doesn’t he look thrilled to see me? lol
(I’m really kidding here, he was great about it and I had my own key to get in anyway. But I know he had to have been exhausted!)
Yurah had to work all weekend so it was just the two of us.
As usual I didn’t get a lot of step by step photos…..who am I kidding? I didn’t even pull out the camera until the end of the day! I’ll just have to tell you what we did.
First thing was to attach the side panel to the cubbies.
It was cut to match the depth of the top cubby section but the bench section was a few inches deeper so I had to add a piece to the bottom to go all the way to the front of the bench. (huh? what did she just say? Clear as mud, I know.)
I could have used a saw to cut the plywood for this in one piece, but chose instead to go the easy route when cutting and make it one strip of the same width. I then used my biscuit joiner to “widen” the bottom by adding a strip of plywood to the front. While it seems like an extra step it’s really easier than trying to get the cut right all in one piece. I also could have used the kreg pocket hole jig for this step, but my drill battery was charging and this was just as easy.
I then had to add facing strips to all the raw front edges of the cubbies to finish them off.
The board and batten look on the wall serves 2 purposes. One, a support cleat for the top cubby, and two, a solid place to screw the hooks into without worrying about using anchors or hitting the studs.
The plan is to have 2 levels of hooks, so we went with 2 cross pieces. I thought it would be fun to “mirror” the cubby sections by using the thinner vertical batten strips.
J and I ran over to a nearby hardware store to pick up painting supplies. We also needed to get some 1X boards to use for the facings. Oh, and caulk, lots of caulk! While out we made a stop to look at hooks I had found at my favorite dollar store. This place sells closeouts from other places and everything is a dollar or less. I saw some coat hooks there that I thought would work, J was in agreement so we picked them up and brought them home to try out. $12 for 12 hooks was not bad!
No pictures of them yet, but we quickly discovered we had to add another board under the top cubby to accommodate the size of the hooks. I’m so glad we thought to check before going too far!.
Here’s the final layout.
After lots of filling and caulking and sanding the first coat of primer was ready to go on.
I’m starting to get excited about it now that it’s beginning to look like it’s really supposed to!
That’s it for this progress report.
Until next time….
I’m linking up to Gail’s Catch as Catch can party this week. I’m so excited to finally have something to link!