Hi there! I feel like I’ve been away a long time, yet it’s only been a week. I’m back with a long overdue progress report on J and Yurah’s Laundry/Mudroom project.
So far I’ve spent 2 long weekends working on it. At last report I showed you the final plans and demolition from day 1.
Days 2 and 3 we got the walls patched up and the ceiling and walls primed and painted.
Yurah was the happy painter for this phase of the project.
Isn’t she cute? We had to bundle up to work out there as the room has no heat.
Meanwhile, while she was doing her thing I got to work framing the bases for all the cabinetry.
This one is for the base cabinets on the washer/dryer side of the room.
This one is for the bench/cubby section.
And the little one in the upper corner is for a cubby tower, just to use up the dead space.
We mixed up some oops paint with white to come up with a suitable color for the walls. Yurah chose a light grayish color.
A word to the wise when trying to lighten up a dark paint: start with your light color (in this case it was white) and then add the darker color until you like the shade. We did it the opposite way, pouring about a third a can of the dark into the container and trying to add white to lighten it. We ended up with a gallon and a half of slightly lighter paint than we started with! Finally we poured the white into another container and added some of the other concoction to it bit by bit. It was soooo much faster to get to the right shade and didn’t take nearly as much paint!
On Sunday I started building the cubby boxes. These are really just simple boxes. Once you get the box squared it’s time to add the inner dividers. I used some 1/4 inch paneling I found in the garage for the backing on the box. Alas, no pictures of the process, as usual in the heat of the moment the camera is the last thing I think about!
The bottom cubby was then attached to the base I had built on the floor. (In this photo you can see there are a couple pieces of plywood on top of the bench, those were the pieces for the top cubby unit.)
After putting the upper box together Jason helped me get it up on the wall. We chose to go all the way to the ceiling with it. I had added 2x4’s to the ceiling to attach it to. (also to move it down a bit to make room for the crown molding we plan to use)
A board was mounted on the wall to use as a guide and support cleat.
We soon found that the ceiling was not level. It was off a full half inch on the right! Check out that gap on the corner.
Not to worry. We took it back down and added shims under the 2x4’s on that end to get it level. Problem solved.
This next picture shows what the unit will look like with the side wall added. We leaned it against the side just to get an idea of what it would look like in the room.
This is where I stopped for the 1st weekend. It was just starting to shape up but it was 10 pm on Sunday and we were whipped!
Let me tell you, it was extremely difficult to pack everything away and call it a wrap until the next weekend.
At least you won’t have to wait a whole week for the next progress report!