I’ll pick door number one, please.
This teeny tiny door is the entrance to Erin’s attic. It’s at the end of her kitchen, tucked in between the window and the stove. The microwave cart sits in front of the window usually. Unless you want to go upstairs. Then you have to roll the cart back out of the way to fit through.
Methinks we’re going to have to do something different with that microwave cart. But that’s for another day.
Today is all about Day 2 progress on the floor in the attic. Yesterday we stopped just a few rows in.
One of the comments left yesterday was from Gail (My Repurposed Life) who said she had laid down a laminate floor in a similar room at her daughter’s house. Only they laid it lengthwise instead of the way I’m doing it (crosswise). Honestly, I don’t know if there’s a right or wrong on which way it should go. My thought process at the time was that the room is already very long, and laying the planks lengthwise would make it seem longer, drawing the eye to the end of the room. By going across the narrower part of the room I hoped to visually expand the width of the space, making it seem more balanced.
But that’s my story and I’m sticking with it! :)
(and then there’s the little theory that I thought I had a better chance of keeping it squared if I started on an outside wall!)
On Saturday we continued working on the floor. Stevie, Erin’s boyfriend, was there to help us out. Together we worked out a system to move along.
Something to note: having some type of a detail saw is important at this phase. There was a heat duct smack dab in the middle of the floor we had to cut around for starters. You can’t do that on the chop (miter) saw!
I left Steve to his own devices for a while so I could add the drywall to the closet framing. I did the inside and outside, except for one piece. The flooring boxes were in my way.
We kept plugging away all day long, into the wee hours of the morning. The goal was to get the floor done by the end of the day, but we finally had to call it. We got just past the bathroom door.
So close to the end!
I found that despite how easy this flooring system is to lay down, it still takes a long time. You have to make sure each piece is butted tightly to the last, and at the start of a row you have to make sure you shim the piece to make sure there is an expansion gap along the wall. You don’t want the floor going tight against the wall!
Trying to make the pieces not show a pattern is a little tricky too, especially in the smaller areas like the hallway.
This floor, being engineered hardwood, is a half inch thick. The advantage to this is that it can be stripped down and refinished if needed. Stain can be used to cover up any scratches too. Important in this application because Erin has 2 dogs!
I’ll leave you with a before and after picture.
That’s it for day 2!