I’m a bad Mom. There, I said it. What, you may ask, makes me a bad mom? Why, leaving my daughter in the lurch for a year and a half; waiting to have her new floor installed.
Yep, bad mom. That’s me. I’m pretty sure you would find my picture next to that in the dictionary.
If you’ve been visiting this blog for a long time you might vaguely remember something about me starting my daughter’s bedroom remodel way back when I started building the outdoor kitchen. I had taken a whole week off of work and thought I could do BOTH projects in that time.
Alright, alright, quit rolling on the floor laughing your butt off! I’ve already ‘fessed up to having a warped sense of time….I KNOW it wasn’t realistic. at least NOW I do.
Back then I was really bummed that I couldn’t get it done.
And so, I bet, was Erin.
See, we had found this great deal on some discontinued hardwood flooring that year and I totally convinced her she had to have it for her attic bedroom. The cost of the flooring was almost as low as laminate would have been to buy, and it was so much nicer!
The dark walnut color was beautiful.
Up until recently she had been renting out the space to a “friend“ who had pretty much trashed the room and moved out. (Now an ex-friend.)
So she was ready to fix it up and use it herself. Her house is a small bungalow style with 2 bedrooms. A previous owner had finished the upstairs attic space into one long room with a half bath. Being an attic the ceilings were low, so the usable space is limited. But the room was really cool and she wanted to use it for her master bedroom.
That’s where I came in. I suggested adding a closet along one wall to utilize some of the low ceilinged area better. This might keep one from hitting their head on the ceiling as they walked through the room.
Of course I would build the closet, and then install the floor.
The room had been painted a very dark blue on one end and brown on the other. It was like walking into a cave!
This shows the bathroom door in the hallway. It was incredibly dark.
And here’s my Erin; tackling the daunting task of covering up that dark blue paint!
What we did get done that long ago summer was to fix and prime the walls and ceiling, and get 2 coats of paint on (nearly) everything.
We used oops $5 paints to mix up a color that Erin liked, a very pale green. She chose a deeper green as an accent wall along the stairway.
After 2 days I left her on her own to finish the painting and went back to my outdoor kitchen building.
And never came back.
See that sheet in the middle of the floor in the picture above? The hardwood flooring boxes sat under that sheet for the next 1 1/2 years.
Erin’s life changed a lot during that time; she was faced with some difficult choices.
Finishing the attic room was relegated to the back burner as she sorted things out. (And sort she did, I’m very proud of her!)
So here we are, it’s Christmas 2011 and I have just given the kids each a promise of 3 days to work on their projects.
Erin’s choice, of course, was the attic bedroom.
She was itching to get it done and move on up there.
Silly me, I scheduled 3 weekends in a row for the kid’s projects, with no buffer weekend in between. Hers was weekend number 3.
So Thursday night I packed up all my tools from Jason’s house and moved them over to Erin’s, hoping and praying I could muster up enough energy to tackle this project!
Day one (Friday) was spent touching up and finishing that paint job we had started so long ago. I assigned that task to Erin.
My first task was framing the closet.
We then moved everything out of way so we could start the floor.
The closet was the perfect place for moving all the stuff to since we weren’t going to lay the new floor in there. (we had purchased just enough to do the room, but not the closets)
Erin commandeered the camera at this point and got this picture of me. This is what I look like in “project mode”. Hair not done, no makeup, and wearing awful clothes with paint all over them.
We rolled out the underlayment film. This brand was really great because it had the adhesive strips for joining the edges together already on it.
The first row was the trickiest, you really want to make sure it’s square and straight as all the rest of the rows depend on it!
We installed this as a “floating floor”. We could have opted to nail it down too, but thought this method would be easier in the long run.
Glue along the upper groove and then push into place tightly. A hammer and block of wood were essential for this step. If you’ve never done this before, it’s really pretty simple. The piece you cut off on the right side then becomes the starter piece for the next row. I was amazed at how little waste there was! (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, this was my very first attempt at laying a floating floor.)
The trick is to choose the pieces so that the seams do not match up from row to row.
This is where we called it a night. It was pretty late.
I’ll be back with more for you tomorrow.