One of the things I love about blogging and reading blogs is all the inspiration that can be found out there.
I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t see something and say, “I want to make that”.
Only 99.9% of the time I just never get around to it.
She said she would make them into lamps and I thought to myself, “That would be a cool thing to do with that silver tripod you curbed last year.”
But it was just a fleeting thought.
Ahhh! I love it! I REALLY need to make one!
What am I waiting for? I was totally inspired.
This time I dug out my tripod and started working on it.
My tripod was painted silver, but I wanted it stained so I just sanded it down to (mostly) bare wood.
Then I quickly stained it.
I wasn’t especially thorough or careful either!
(why? well, I figured it wouldn’t really show. Now looking at the pictures I’m kinda rethinking that theory.)
That’s as far as I got that first weekend.
Come the next weekend I pull out my box of dismantled lamp parts and try to find something that works.
After much trial and error this is the configuration of parts I came up with.
I painted all the metal pieces with a hammered silver paint.
Why? because I had a can of it and I didn’t feel like going to the store to pick up something else.
(and I could brush it on rather than taping off the parts to paint with spray paint)
Ok, at this point I stopped taking pictures, but the shade I decided to use really didn’t go with the silver metal.
It’s a fiberglass shade and has a bronze thread swirled throughout. Call me crazy, but I just love these lampshades and pick them up whenever I find them.
I think they are so pretty when lit, the soft glow is awesome.
And it was exactly the right size for this lamp.
Crap! Now I need to paint again.
So the lamp sat for a few days waiting for me to get the right paint.
Meanwhile, out in blogland it turned out to be a week filled with lamp reveals!
And Gina from Cottage3 made her own very cool funky industrial version with a windmill base. (It’s totally awesome)
Both girls showed how easy and inexpensive it was to make a lamp out of a store bought kit.
Why it only took minutes to do!
If I had only waited a week….think of all the time I would have saved.
So here I am, late to the party yet again.
With my tripod lamp made from reclaimed lamp parts and a shade I already had.
But it wasn’t free, it cost me $7 for a can of ORB spray-paint.
I didn’t staple the cord to the leg like Suzanne did, but I did tuck it between the metal clamps before adding the plug.
I love it! Thanks for the inspiration Suzanne, Susan and Gina.
I may never have finished this without you!