Marianne is hosting another Gitter Done link party, so I tackled this long overdue fix.
Recently I was shopping at CSN Stores for something to buy to review, I was really attracted to some of the bar stools.
This bayberry colored stool was on clearance for just $36!
Well, $35 at CSN was not going to get me more than one stool, so I gave up on replacing mine with new.
I’m so tired of the counter stools I have; 2 cheapo natural wood color stools and a dark green one that I picked up at the curb. (not pictured)
When I first got them, I had the pillow cushions on them. They did not work very well as they kept slipping off!
Pretty blah aren’t they? Not only did they not match,
but my Sandy dog had her way with one of the legs when I foolishly placed the stools on the couch to keep her from sleeping up there while we were away.
She just pushed the stools aside, got up on the couch, and proceeded to snack on one of the upturned legs.
That was years ago and we’ve still been using that counter stool. The chewing didn’t hurt the function, just the looks.
I kept meaning to repair or replace it, but never got around to it.
(for the record, I thought long and hard about whether or not to show the hairy leg of the stool. I didn’t even notice how bad it looked until I downloaded the photos, but by then I had already added spackle to the leg. I decided to go ahead; in the spirit of just keeping it real.)
So instead of buying new I took them down to the basement and washed them really well, treated them with a deglosser and did a little sanding for good measure.
The chewed up leg got sanded as smooth as I could get it and then treated to a bit of spackle to fill in the low spots
I wasn’t going for perfection, just disguise.
I taped off the edges of the seat with Scotch Blue edgelock tape and sprayed away.
Yes, I know, spraying indoors is not the best thing to do.
Luckily we live in a very drafty house so it didn’t affect indoor air quality for long.
(Plus I opened a basement window while I was painting.)
After the spray paint dried I added a couple coats of mahogany stain with poly to the seats to darken them.
Now they look all new again, and I can live with them a while longer.
If you look for it, you can tell the fixed leg doesn’t match the others, but you really have to look.
The darker seats actually go better with the counter trim and the dining room table than the original natural color.
That’s my gitter done inspired project for this round.
One more annoying thing fixed and off the list!