Just in time for the first Gitter Done party at Songbirds’, I got the kitchen cabinets trimmed out over the stove.
Now you probably know about all the other kitchen spruce ups I’ve been blogging about all week ( replacing tiles, painting bead board and trim) but not about the one thing that was bugging me the most, these stupid cabinets.
They are really just boxes I cobbled together to go on either side of the microwave/hood cabinet. I needed a custom size to get the look I wanted and decided it couldn’t be that difficult to just do it myself. (This was wayyyy back 7 years ago in case you were wondering.)
I threw together these boxes from scraps I had on hand and attached them to the wall figuring I would tackle the finish part later. Why, I didn’t even bother to make my cuts straight.
Only later when I went to fix them and add trim, I couldn’t get my head around exactly how to go about it.
The offsets were throwing me off. After some failed attempts at adding crown molding to the top I just gave up.
In this picture you can see I just had a piece of crown in the front of the microwave cabinet, but couldn’t figure out how to do the return piece so I just left it hanging.
These were a total disaster.
I simply tried to ignore them for all these years, carefully averting my eyes from these horrible, embarrassing cabinets.
When Marianne announced the upcoming Gitter Done! party, I knew that this was what I needed to tackle and gitter done once and for all.
I stopped at Home Depot and wandered the trim aisle searching for inspiration.
I selected a few pieces that I thought might help to disguise my horrible carpentry.
And I went home and got started.
At 7:00 pm.
Surprisingly, it started to come together. By the end of the night the crooked side and bottom edges were suitably disguised.
After filling the gaps with caulk and then adding a coat of primer I stood back and admired my work.
Not great, I never expected it would be, but it would do.
Now I just needed to tackle the difficult crown molding cuts on top of the cabinets.
The next night after work I gathered the crown molding pieces together and got started.
After 2 cuts it became obvious to me that the very tall crown molding I was trying to cut just would not work.
On to Plan B; I had a different piece of trim, but it didn’t match what was used in the rest of the kitchen.
I decided to go for it.
And this time it worked!
Oh, it’s not anything resembling perfect. But it was close enough that some caulk would hide the worst of the mistakes and that was ok by me.
I put a coat of paint on the cabinets and called it done!
You can see here how it doesn’t match the crown in the rest of the room.
Ask me if I care. ;)
Thanks for the nudge Marianne. I‘ve got a lot more of these little jobs that need doing.
Looks like I’ll be participating in many more Gitter Done parties.
I’m also linking up to Gail’s Catch As Catch Can party @ My Repurposed Life….check it out!