Somewhere buried in the outer edges of my blog is a pending project list I started last spring.
I thought for sure if I put that list on my blog that I would be better about achieving my goals.
Well it didn’t really work that way.
And every time I tweaked my layout I moved the dreaded list further down the page. I was tired of it mocking me every time I looked at my blog.
So now it exists near the bottom, below the feedjit list.
When Marianne from Songbird took over the Gitter Done! party this month I decided to get something off that list that’s been pending since last spring.
You see, I had promised my daughter a new TV media stand to go with the new 50” big screen TV she won last year.
Her old TV stand I had made for her and blogged about it in this post called a Repurpose Repurposed.
This little stand was wayyyy too small for the new TV. Here it’s shown with her old one, and it was just the right size for tucking in the corner.
I wish we had thought to get a picture of the huge new TV perched on top of this stand.
Anyway, I had the perfect piece to use for the new media center and told her “Oh no, don’t buy one, I’ll make it for you, it’ll be easy.” You know, those dreaded DIY words.
I suspect she cringed a bit when I said it, probably knowing full well it wouldn’t happen anytime soon.
This is a before photo of the dresser I had in mind for the new media center.
No, your eyes aren’t messed up, it was stored on end when I took the picture so I just rotated it so you could get a better idea.
It was just a very cheaply made wood dresser I found at the curb minus a few drawers.
I actually started working on it in the spring, pulling out one of the support pieces and adding shelves, priming it, and then spray painting it black.
You can see here I used all different scraps to make the shelves.
I even got so far as spraying a clear coat finish.
But I didn’t finish.
I was so close!
They say the devil’s in the details.
Alas, this proved too true for me.
The backs of the shelves needed to be supported and I had to figure out how to add some trim to the front to disguise the edges of the new shelves.
The drawers still needed to be lined and knobs needed to be added.
All little details.
I can’t remember why, but I stopped working on it.
The piece actually got moved into the guest room sometime over the summer and promptly covered with stuff.
Then two weeks ago I uncovered it and moved it to the basement to tackle it once more.
Because I needed to finish it for my very patiently waiting daughter, and because Marianne was giving us a great push to finally Gitter Done!
Some recent in progress photos.
I can now happily report that it was delivered to my daughter’s house Friday night.
She was super excited to have it.
(don’t tell her I posted this picture, she’ll kill me ‘cause I didn’t give her a chance to clean up!)
It was pretty dark in her living room, so I couldn’t get a very good pic. Even with the flash on there wasn’t enough light.
This still needs a bit of tweaking to get it right; there was one more hole needed for the power cords to feed through….grrrr
And of course I didn’t think to bring my drill.
So I have to make a quick trip back to make the hole and help rearrange the components.
Once she gets it situated the way she wants it I’ll add an updated photo.
But I’m calling it done anyway!
Thanks Marianne, for giving me some extra motivation to Gitter Done!