There were several comments on yesterdays post asking how I made the door planters stand upright.
Rather than answer in the comments section I’ll do it as a separate post so you won’t miss it. As a matter of fact I may just make a habit of this sort of post.
I used the pound-in style fence posts (for wire fencing) to hold the doors. I love these posts, (called U posts when you look for them at the hardware store) they are reusable and easy to install (as long as you don’t hit a rock). All you have to do is screw thru the holes into the piece you want to support. And if you mess up and the post isn’t perfectly straight, you can always insert a piece of wood to shim it.
Generally I use 2 for something this large, it keeps the piece from twisting that way. I still need to go back and add another to each door, as I only had 2 of the larger size on hand. I’m ok until a strong wind comes up, but it’s on my list to fix next weekend.
I used the same posts when I built the Rainbow Garden last summer, and a year later it’s still holding strong and straight.
You can see in the picture below how I supported the posts. I painted the stake white to blend in better. And the corner brackets on the crib railings, they’re actual L brackets from the cribs themselves.
And this shutter screen was held up for 3 years by these posts. (as a matter of fact, I used the posts from this for my doors!)
Nobody asked but I’ll tell you anyway. I used crib hardware for hanging hooks on the top of the doors. It’s strong, sturdy, and FREE. I love free and I also love using what I have on hand. Nothing was purchased new except for the plants, mulch, and cocoa liner for the baskets. And good grief, I’m still having sticker shock over those!
This particular piece of hardware was the part that holds the foot mechanism bar in place. My, how technical I sound!
And for the window planter I just used the latch hardware that was already there to hook the basket onto.
For the record, these doors (and windows) I used were part of the clean-up around that darned shed in preparation of moving it. I managed to use several of the pieces around the yard, as I sure didn’t have room to store them elsewhere! ;)
My next step is to use the pile of windows that were “hidden” behind that shed. But that’s another post!
Gotta go now, it’s trash day somewhere…