Edited to add: This series of posts is from projects I made for a benefit to raise money to help with medical expenses for a friend suffering from cancer. I’m happy to say Cathy’s cancer is now in remission. Cathy works in a restaurant, so I tried to use items that could be found in a restaurant as my starting point for each item.
This one was made from these 2 lovely chairs.
The backs are one of my all time favorite chair designs. What are they called? I believe I read somewhere they were Lyre Back? I’m too tired right now to Google it, so if you know please help me out and leave a comment, ok? I had a long workday today, started out at 6:30 am and got back at 9:00 pm. I really wanted to get this post in so please forgive me if you find a lot of mistakes. I’ll come back and fix them tomorrow. (Didn’t mean to be a whiner there, just wanted you to know I’m not quite myself tonight)
One of the chairs had been
well loved chewed to death by a family pet. I know that story well, having 2 very wonderful but destructive dogs myself.
Someday I’ll show you some of the stuff they have chewed!
Aside from the chewing, the front half of both chairs was wobbly and needed a lot of work.
Love the angle of the back.
Check out what happens when you turn the chairs this way!
What I decided to do with these I first saw done a couple years ago by Sharon S. from the HGTV Trash to Treasure forum. She is one super talented lady and comes up with the most creative and crazy wonderful ideas! She has a shop called “ ….Another Man’s Treasure” in Michigan. I wish she had a blog.
When I picked up these chairs at the curb I knew immediately what they would be used for. They were just like the ones Sharon S. had used for her original creation.
Off came the wobbly damaged front legs of the chairs…
I made a box of 1X3’'’s and attached it to the chairs.
I sure wish that was the end of this part of the story, but it wasn’t to be.
It was wobbly.
Fall on the floor if you sit on it wobbly.
To fix the problem I took the box off and just used 1x3’s attached directly to the chair legs.
It worked. No more wobbles.
In fact it was super sturdy!
See this table leaf?
It’s a run of the mill laminate top table leaf. I see them all the time at the curb.
I always pick them up.
They make great boards for seats.
Especially for benches.
Especially if you are going to cover the seat with fabric.
Which I did.
Remember the bedsprings from the herb garden chair?
While taking the box spring apart to get to the springs, I had to take all this batting off.
Perfect for padding a seat.
A while back I purchased a bunch of burlap coffee bean sacks at my favorite dollar store. At a buck a piece I bought at least a dozen. Someday I’ll post about the other things I made with them.I got lazy and used the whole sack without cutting it open. I stapled it under the leaf all the way around.
It fit perfectly and made the fabric a little sturdier for a seat.
(Burlap can be very thin as the weave is so loose.)
There were some worn spots on the pattern.
I touched them up with paint.
To get a more modern look I added some sheet metal pieces to the front and back seat supports.
It’s really hard to see them in pictures.
They were pieces left behind by a contractor that installed a refrigeration case at work.
Thought the combination of the burlap and the shiny aluminum was cool and might appeal to the younger crowd.
The finished bench. I picture this as being used at the end of a bed or in a foyer.
Wish I had staged it somewhere besides the driveway……
Final Cost: $1
This bench sold for $95 at the silent auction.
It was hard to let it go….
Join me tomorrow for Project #4 in the ‘Care for Cathy’ series!
Gotta go now, it’s trash day somewhere!
Linking this post up to:
Beyond the Picket Fence 100 ideas under $100
Gail’s Catch as Catch Can linky party